The J-1 classification for Exchange Visitors (EVs) is authorized for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing, or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.  

In carrying out the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitor Program, the Department of State designates public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors. J-1 nonimmigrants are therefore sponsored by an exchange program that is designated as such by the U.S. Department of State. These programs are designed to promote the interchange of persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science.  

Examples of EV categories include, but are not limited to: 

  • Professors or scholars
  • Research assistants
  • Students 
  • Trainees 
  • Teachers 
  • Specialists 
  • Au Pairs
  • Camp Counselors

At Rutgers University, J-1 categories generally include professors or scholars, research assistants, students, and teachers, with scholars being the primary category for Rutgers-Camden sponsoring departments.  

Categories and Maximum Lengths of Stay 

  •  Professor or Research Scholar: Five year (this includes postdoctoral associates and fellows)
    • Short-term scholars: Six months
    • Visiting research student (non-degree): Two years 
    • Student intern: One year 

Sponsorship: J-1 visa holders must be primarily funded by either Rutgers, their host university, government agencies, or other legitimate agencies for the duration of their stay. Only 25% of funding requirements may come from personal finances. 

Status Document: DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility 

Families: Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 who will accompany J-1 visa holders during their time in the United States must obtain a J-2 visa. 

Special conditions: Exchange Visitors may only be employed by their sponsoring department at Rutgers. Occasional lecturing and consultation outside of Rutgers is allowed only with vetting and permission in advance by Rutgers Global–International Student and Scholar Services. 

All Rutgers University-Camden visiting scholars (EVs) are “sponsored” by an applicable host academic department/center.  J-1 Exchange Visitors (and their dependents) must receive a form Ds-2019 to apply for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.  

The sponsorship process is initiated by the faculty sponsor in that department/center at Rutgers-Camden. Rutgers-Camden departments (and faculty) sponsoring a J-1 exchange visitor should follow the process below. 

Department administrators are the main controller of requests made for issuance of form DS-2019 for a J-1 EV. They will initiate most processes and their actions in the portal should direct the necessary actions to other involved parties, including the department’s faculty, deans, and chairs, as well as the J-1 Exchange Visitor. The Departmental Administrator will be able to view all E-Forms required in the E-Form group and their status.  


The purpose of this workflow is for DS-2019 for research and scholar categories. Faculty or departments seeking to bring in student interns should contact Rutgers Global- International Student Services. 

Faculty/departments hiring EVs should ensure the position has been posted and the scholar has been hired prior to initiating a request for a DS-2019. Department admins should work with Camden Human Resources regarding the hiring process.