Welcome, Global Travelers!

Congratulations on your acceptance into a Rutgers University–Camden Learning Abroad or Study Away course. The Office of International Students & Global Programs is excited to work with you as you prepare to travel abroad. Please take a thorough look at the following information regarding next steps, visas, financial aid, and other Learning Abroad policies.


  • Course Registration:

Once accepted, the Office of International Students & Global Programs will register you in the associated Learning Abroad course. Before the university drop/add deadline, log into WebReg to confirm that you have been registered in the correct course. If you plan to take more than 19 credits, you must submit a course overload form to the Office of International Students & Global Programs.

  • Passport Upload:

All accepted students must upload a copy of their passport to their online application no later than January 1st. If you do not have a passport, please apply for one as soon as possible. You can find more information about applying for a passport here. Your passport should be valid for at least six months after you return. Make sure the “Name as it Appears in your Passport” section of your application is accurate and that the passport number and expiration date sections are complete.

  • Physician’s Form:

Please upload the Learning Abroad Physician’s Form to your application or submit to the Office of International Students & Global Programs by February 1st (215 N. Third Street, Suite 112). The Rutgers Student Wellness Center (2nd floor of the Camden Campus Center) can help you complete this form. Check with the travel health expert in the Student Wellness Center to see if any immunizations or vaccinations are required. The form can also be downloaded from your online application.

  • Visa:

Most Learning Abroad travelers will not need a visa to travel abroad. However, some countries, like Brazil, require U.S. citizens to apply for a tourist visa. Moreover, many international students or non-U.S. citizens will need a visa to travel to other countries. Please contact the Office of International Students & Global Programs immediately for more information. Note: It is the student’s responsibility to research and apply for a visa. If you hold a U.S. permanent residency card, bring this with you when you travel.

  • Pre-Departure Orientation:

All travelers are required to attend the Learning Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation. Register here. Email learning.abroad@camden.rutgers.edu if you would like a digital copy of the Pre-Departure Guide. A third session will take place in April for students traveling in May.


Many Learning Abroad travelers are able to use financial aid to help cover some Learning Abroad costs. We encourage students to speak with a financial aid counselor before they apply to a program to guarantee that financial aid is available or that loans can be increased. The program cost (course fee) is added to students’ term bills upon registration in the course. Apply for a scholarship! Scholarship decisions will be announced in December and posted to students’ term bills in mid-January.


  • If you wish to withdraw from a Learning Abroad program and course, you must contact the Office of International Students & Global Programs in writing (via email at learning.abroad@camden.rutgers.edu). If you choose to withdraw after being accepted to a program, you may be responsible for paying a penalty (up to the total cost of the program). Withdraw requests for spring programs that are submitted after January 1st are subject to a minimum $200 cancelation fee up to the total program cost.
  • The program cost is in addition to tuition. The program cost covers airfare, hotels, and some meals while abroad. Plan to bring additional money for meals as well as souvenirs and other expenses not covered by the program cost. The Learning Abroad program cost is added to students’ term bills.
  • Graduating seniors participating in a spring semester Learning Abroad program that travels in May or June will receive an August-dated diploma and transcript. Contact your faculty leader to make them aware that you are graduating.