General Information and Eligibility 
The program extension request form is to be used by an F-1 or J-1 student who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on form I-20 (F-1 student) or DS-2019 (J-1 student). To allow sufficient time for the extension procedure and SEVIS update, a student must submit his or her request to the Office of International Students (OIS) at least 30 days before the expiration date of the I-20 or DS-2019. A student who fails to request an extension prior to the program expiration date will be considered out of status and must apply to USCIS for reinstatement.

In order to be eligible for a program extension a student must:

  • Submit complete documentation to the OIS for an extension 30 days before the program completion date listed on his/her current I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Have continually maintained legal F-1 or J-1 status student status.
  • Seek an extension for a delay caused by a compelling academic or medical need for the extension, such as change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness.
  • If there is a change in funding source, provide financial documentation covering your educational and living expenses for the extension period.

To apply for an extension of your student status, please carefully read and complete the Program Extension Request Form

  • You and your academic advisor or graduate program director must complete this form in its entirety.
  • You must submit your completed request form to OIS and, if required, financial documentation to request a program extension.
  • Please bring your current I-20 or DS-2019
  • Make sure your department or school updates the Registrar’s Office with your new expected completion date.
  • If you are eligible, within 5 business days, you will be issued an I-20 or DS-2019 with a new completion date. Any J-2 or F-2 dependents will also be issued updated forms.

It is your responsibility to pick up your updated I-20 or DS-2019 prior to the expiration of your current I-20 or DS-2019 to ensure that the extension has been granted on time!

Financial Documentation 
If there is a change in your source of funding, you must provide proof that you will be able to continue to meet the expenses (living and education costs, including living expenses for dependent family members, if any) of studying at Rutgers University, Camden.
Please bring documentation of one, or a combination of the following, showing funding for the duration of your extension:

  • A statement showing proof of renewed sponsorship or financial aid. Funding amounts must be clearly stated.
  • Recent financial certificate (e.g., a bank statement), issued within the past 12 months.
  • An updated Rutgers scholarship/fellowship/assistantship letter. Funding amounts and period of funding must be clearly stated.

Please Note: 
The extension procedure will extend your I-20 or DS-2019 but not your visa (stamp). If you have an expired visa in your passport, you are permitted to remain in the US with a valid I-20 or DS-2019. However, the next time you travel out of the US and need to re-enter, you will still need to apply for a new visa to return to the US.